Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First day of school!!

Today was Tyson's first day of school. He is a kindergartner at Park Elementary. His teacher is Mrs. Weiss. He has been looking forward to school for such a long time! Last night before we prayed, I asked him if he was excited or nervous about school. He said "I'm nervous that my friends won't be my friend". So sad for a mommy to hear.

Sissy sneaking in the first day of school picture

This morning I dropped him off at school. He will be riding the bus home this afternoon and taking the bus the rest of the year, unless I am running late or discover that he is being corrupted by the older elementary kids on the bus! It was too early to leave him in his class so I took him out to the playground. As soon as I opened the door he took off running and never looked back. No good-bye. Not even a little wave. I was left standing there with his backpack in my hand. I am so thankful that he is so eager about school, but I was kind of sad that I didn't get to give him one last hug and tell him one more time that I love him and that Jesus is going to be with him all day long.

Standing under his "star" (it's the orange one above his head)
At about 3:45, Jori and I walked to the bus stop. We waited, and waited, and waited. I wish I had taken my phone along so I could see what time the bus actually came. I didn't mind waiting today because it was beautiful out, but on a cold day--not so much. The bus did finally come and after 3 "big" kids, my little Tyson hopped off. The bus stops on the other side of the cross street, and the kids cross at the back of the bus. My neighbor and I were not such huge fans of this because the bus driver can't really even see the kids crossing and even if she did see a car coming, she wouldn't be able to do a thing about it. Thankfully our neighbor boy had gotten off first, so I hollered to Tyson to wait with Ian and NOT cross the street alone!

After school. He ate his oreos on the bus because "they made me eat my lunch too fast at school".
It is now 5:30 and I have not been able to get much info from Tyson about how his day went. His favorite thing was recess. There wasn't anything he didn't like. He was very hungry when he came home and was eating the leftover parts of his lunch on the bus and the walk home. He doesn't know the names of anyone he played with and he says he didn't sit by anyone all day. I am hoping he'll say a little more to Darin. He did come home with an art project and a paper that he says is NOT homework, but I am not so sure about that.

*After Darin came home, Tyson told him that he had art class and music today. He has been singing "Fiddle dee dee, Fiddle dee dee. The BEE has married the bumblebee". I said "Isn't it the FLY has married the bumblebee", but he has assured me that his way is correct.

**The kids did great in their beds last night. Jori did fall out and was stuck between her bed and the wall, which explains why her cry was so muffled! Darin moved her bed over a couple more inches and we stuck a pillow in the gap and she stayed put the rest of the night. Tyson also did great. This morning at 6:45 he called me into his room to ask if I would turn on his light so he could make his bed : )

*** I tried uploading the video I took of Tyson describing his first day, but it wasn't happening. I am trying to get it on Facebook now (mom, call me and I can help you log on).

No comments: