- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Measure 1 cup sifted flour. Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift again. Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Mix well and set aside.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter. Add 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar and mix well. If shortening is used, add 1 tablespoon hot water. Cool slightly.
- Add egg (beaten) and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, mixing well.
- Spread in 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Sprinkle 1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
This next recipe is one that I like to make because it looks like it took a lot more work than it actually takes. I actually made it for our small group meeting tonight because I had almost all the ingredients in the house already.
Double Chocolate Mocha Trifle
- 1 (19.8 ounce) package brownie mix
- 1 3/4 cups cold milk
- 2 (3.3 ounce) packages instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered toffee bars, chopped
- Prepare brownies according to package directions. Bake and cool completely. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix until mixture begins to thicken. Dissolve coffee granules in water and stir into pudding mixture. Fold in whipped topping.
- In a glass serving bowl, layer one-third of brownie cubes, one-third of pudding mixture and one-third of candy. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used. Chill 30 minutes in refrigerator before serving.