Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Broiled Tilapia and Pulled Pork Tacos

Not together, of course, but these are two separate recipes. Both recipes are courtesy of my college friend Michelle, who also gave me the chicken and salsa recipe, so if you liked that, try these!

Michelle found the tilapia recipe on Ordering Disorder, which is also where I found the bbq chicken recipe that was SO good. Click here to go right to the tilapia recipe, with pictures, or just read on for the same recipe, minus the pics.

  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice*
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon celery salt*
  • 2 pounds tilapia fillets

    This is a quick recipe. Fish does not take long to cook at all, so if you are making a side dish you might want that to be almost done before you put your fish into the broiler.

    Step One:

    Turn your oven on to the BROIL setting. Make sure that you adjust the racks inside your oven. You want the fish to be a few inches away from the broiling burner.

    Step Two:

    Line the bottom of your broiling pan with tinfoil. Trust me, it is so much easier to clean up this way. You will thank me for this little extra step later. You are welcome in advance.

    Step Three:

    Arrange the fillets in a single layer on your broiling pan.

    Step Four:

    Mix together all of the other ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.

    If you have anything you need to attend to, go do it now. You will not be leaving your fish again until it is served. Don’t worry this only takes a few minutes. Seriously, I hardly had anytime to take any photos.

    Step Five:

    Place fish in the oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes. I usually aim for 2 minutes because by the time I find my potholder and get it out of oven, an additional minute has passed.

    Step Six:

    Flip the fillets over and return them to the broiler for another 2-3 minutes.

    Step Seven:

    Remove from oven. Cover the fish with the Parmesan cheese mixture you have already prepared.

    Step Eight:

    Return the fish to the oven and broil for an additional 2 minutes, or until the coating has become slightly brown. You don’t want to overcook the fish. It should flake easily with your fork Tyson

  • I made 4 (frozen) fillets (that I thawed, of course), and the Parmesan cheese that comes in a can, not actual Parmesan cheese. Next time I think I would try it with real cheese. It was really good. I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't still coughing up a lung! Darin said he would eat it again and he isn't a huge fish fan. Tyson ate what we put on his plate with few complaints. He did say it was too spicy. Maybe he meant too tangy from the lemon because there isn't anything spicy about this recipe. Jori was her typical self and whined and moaned, but finally ate about 5 bites before we let her stop. I WILL be making this again.

    The pulled pork tacos recipe is one that Michelle put in our "Rooks Cooks" cookbook. (My college friends and I lived in Rooks VanDellen our freshman and sophomore years and I am so blessed that most of them still live in the area!)

    You will need:
    1 pork loin or tenderloin cubed in 1.5 inch pieces (you choose the size of the loin!)
    1 medium white or yellow onion
    1 TBSP cumin
    2 tsp coriander
    2 tsp oregano
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp hot sauce (or more if you like spicier things)
    2 TBSP soy sauce
    2-3 bottles of beer (wheat or dark beer is best, but you can use any)
    Flour tortillas
    Cilantro
    Shredded cheese
    Limes

    Brown pork over medium-high heat in large dutch over (The first time I made this, I didn't cut the tenderloin up and I didn't brown it, but it still turned out great). Once all sides are browned, add onion and continue sauteing until onions start to look translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add spices and liquids, cumin through beer, use enough beer to cover the meat. (I have already browned, sauteed and added everything BUT the beer and shoved the whole pan in the fridge. I thought I may as well get it started while my kids were occupied!)
    Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and cover to cook for 2-3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so-if beer seems to be getting low, add more.
    About 45 minutes before you want to eat, shred pork-you should be able to do this with a spatula because the pork SHOULD BE falling apart by now. Leave cover off and simmer until it is time to eat-the sauce will cook down.
    Serve on warm tortillas topped with cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime (Darin likes just cheese, I like how it tastes with all the "extras") and black beans if you like.

    No comments: