Sunday, December 7, 2008

Merry Christmas

Ok, so I told Darin we ARE getting our Christmas letter out tonight, otherwise it will probably never happen. We might be sending it out in an email too, so I apologize if we bombard some of you, but we know some people do not follow our blog. Shocking, I know. If only they knew what they were missing out on. So enjoy and feel free to pass it on to anyone who may like to know what we've been up to.

I seem to have used up any wit that I may have possessed in writing on our family's blog, so we'll see how this letter turns out. I'll skip the whole "I can't believe another year has passed..." and get right to the good stuff.

2008 has been a great year for the Fey's. We have our health, a home, job security (for now), full stomachs, and the freedom to worship our great God. Having those 5 things puts us way ahead of many people here in our country and around the world.
Tyson finished up his first year of preschool and recently started on year 2. Once again, he is going to Jamestown Elementary 3 days a week and loves it. I think he would gladly go 5 days if they'd let him. Tyson is 4 1/2, (almost 5, he reminds us almost every day) and is still as busy as ever. Jori is now 2 1/2. She loves her big brother and misses him when he is at school. They really have become the best of friends.
Nothing much has changed for either Darin or myself. He is still employed at Innotec, though he just changed to a different division, and I continue to stay home with the kids. We will be have been married for 7 years on December 22.
This past year we were able to spend time with family and friends both here in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and even Florida. My parents were able to make the trip to Michigan several times this year and we were able to get together with Darin's family in May and July of this year. We have plans to see them again this Christmas. I made my first trip ever to Florida with a group of college friends. We had a great time together and are already making plans for another girls only vacation.
As most of you know, we spent the months of September, October and part of November in South Africa. Darin is fortunate to work for a company that gives its employees a 3 month sabbatical after the employee has worked there for 7 years. We have made other trips to South Africa and decided that it would be a great opportunity to introduce our kids to the country. We were so blessed by the 10 weeks that we were over there. We know that many of you were praying for our health and safety while we were gone, and we are happy to report that we had no problems while we were in Africa. Darin did get sick on the flight home, but technically, we weren't in Africa anymore, so it doesn't really count.
Our time in Africa was such a blessing to us. We met so many incredible people who are working to take care of orphans and those affected by HIV/AIDS and deep poverty. We were able to share their stories with many people back in the states and saw God working through that in a mighty way. We have been home less than a month and are now trying to grapple with how the things we experienced in South Africa should change our lives here in Michigan.
I couldn't possibly write about all the things we saw and did, but I'll give you a few highlights. Darin, my dad (my parents joined us for our last 3 weeks in South Africa) and I bungy jumped off the Bloukrans Bridge, the highest bridge bungy jump in the world, we played in a cage with baby lions, we fed and pet elephants-both big and small, we saw a lion eating a zebra in the wild and we rode on ostriches. Those really were awesome experiences. It was amazing to see the vastness of God's creation. I believe I speak for both Darin and myself when I say that we would gladly give up having done all of those things just to be able to go back and see the friends that we have made. Friends like Amos, Mama Rebecca, Mama Cathrine, and the Hardings are missed.

That's really all I have to report. With lots of love,
Darin, Jonna, Tyson and Jori



Knysna Elephant Park

On the beach by our condo in Cape Town, Table Mountain in the background

On top of Table Mountain

Saying goodbye to Momma Rebecca and Amos at our Africa house

Holding a python at Predator World

No comments: