Sunday, August 29, 2010

Down By The Creek Bank

We have a fabulous bike path that ends (or begins, depending on how you look at it) right in our cul-de-sac. We are big fans of the bike path. When the kids where really little, I used to put them in their strollers and take them for walks. Sometimes we would just walk. There were always interesting things to see along the path-caterpillars crossing in the fall, frogs in the spring, ducks, geese, herons and even a few swans throughout the year.

At one point, the bike path has a decent sized man made pond on one side and a creek on the other. I'll write about the pond in another post, but tonight I want to share about our recent adventures in the creek. Since we haven't had very much rain lately, the creek is quite low. There are times when it is close to overflowing and rushes wildly by. Yesterday the kids and I had gone to the pond to feed the fish, and then Tyson wanted to go look at the creek. After they saw how low and calm the water was, both kids wanted to go in, and being in an agreeable mood, I said yes. They had so much fun! The only bad thing was that Darin wasn't with us. So we decided to head back again this afternoon for more fun.

First, check out my new ride.

No, I do not normally ride on Tyson's bike, but my own bike is having some issues and it was way too hot to walk, so this was my only option. Let me tell you, next time I will walk! It was so uncomfortable and my knees were hurting like crazy on the way home. Oh well, it was totally worth it to see these smiles.

Jorin DiAnn-4 years old
Tyson Alan-6 years old

Running away from a pretend water snake
Looking for litter
They just had the best time! Splashing, jumping, pretending there were water snakes, smooshing the mud with their toes, finding litter and throwing it up on the shore and so much more. They did not want to leave!
Best buddies
I am sure we will make it back to the creek a few more times before summer's end!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Write a letter to your own hometown of Salem, Oregon and tell them to put in bike paths like the ones in the Midwest! I miss running by Reeds Lake and the Holland-Grand Haven trail and the bike paths in Fruitport/Spring Lake/Ferrysburg. Glad you guys have fun places like the creek to play with your kids

BTW - Wish I could meet up with you when I'm in West Michigan. I'll have to see if I have any free time. If not, I'll catch you the next time around.

pjvs said...

What fun!! We hope your weather stays warm so you can do it again. Worth the mess!!!!! Love ya Mom AND Dad