Monday, October 6, 2008

Caution: Student Driver 10/5

Today, on the way to church, Darin decided that I needed to learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road, sitting on the wrong side of the car. First, he drove us to church, where we actually made it through almost a whole service (okay, so Jori and I ended up outside again, but we did make it through one point of a three point message). After church, Darin started out driving, but 2 blocks into the drive, he pulled over and told me to drive. If only the people of Temba and Hammanskraal knew what was about to take place. They surely would have stayed off of the road. I actually drove us to the grocery store and after picking up some essentials, I drove us home. Safely. I even got up to the speed limit a couple times. I did not pass anyone, but the roads weren't actually that busy. There were never more than 4 cars lined up behind me at a time. Totally kidding. It was more like 8 cars. Actually, the only vehicle that was ever close to me was a truck that was totally speeding and flew right past our sometimes pokey Citroen. I'm definitely not ready to drive into Pretoria, but if Darin would get bit by a snake, I'm pretty sure I could get him to the local hospital.
In case both Darin and I would become incapacitated, we are in the process of training Tyson the rules of the road. He drove us to Tamboti this afternoon. Well, he was sitting on Darin's lap, and Darin was manning the gas and brakes, and holding on to the steering wheel for the most part, but there were a few terrifying, I mean exciting moments when Tyson was in charge of the steering wheel. He actually did pretty well. It must be all that training he's getting from playing Cars on his Leapster.

No comments: