Saturday, February 13, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner

For the past couple months, I've been trying to cook breakfast for dinner at least once a week to save a little money. It has been a HUGE hit. Usually, I just make pancakes, because they are cheap and easy, but sometimes I branch out. Here are two other breakfast dishes I've recently made.

The first is from my college friend, Lisa. I actually found another recipe quite similar to hers, but it was for double the amount and it had a little vanilla extract thrown in. Here is the double recipe
Dutch Babies

Mix 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, dash of salt, dash of vanilla and 4 eggs until batter is lumpy (I mixed it in the blender). In the meantime preheat oven to 425. When oven is close to being preheated, place 1/2 cup (or a little less) butter in a 9x13 baking dish and place in the oven. Once you hear the butter sizzle (I wasn't listening and my oven got a bit spattered) remove the baking dish. Add the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes. The edges of the dutch baby will poof up and start curling over.
Serve with syrup or strawberries and powdered sugar

This next recipe comes from my sister, Laurie. I have never been brave enough to make it on my own, because it seemed like a lot of stuff to be dealing with, but it was easy and SO GOOD.

French Toast with Vanilla Cream Syrup
You will need French bread, half and half, eggs, sugar, vanilla, corn syrup (dark or light), whipping cream and berries

For the bread:
Cut French bread 1/2 inch thick
combine 1 1/3 cup half and half, 4 eggs, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla

Dip the bread in this mixture. Don't let it soak up too much or your bread will be soggy, but make sure it is wet through. Cook in a pan or griddle. (I made 1/2 a batch-about 6 pieces-one night and made more of this mixture for the rest of the bread the next day)

Serve with Vanilla Cream Syrup
Stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup (recipe calls for light, I only had dark and it was fine) and 1/2 cup whipping cream over medium heat and simmer until melted. Remove from stove, add 1 tsp vanilla. Cool, then whip until thickened.

If you want, you can make Whipped Cream using some of your remaining whipping cream. I Googled "How to make whipped cream with whipping cream" and it said to use a metal bowl and put the bowl and whipping cream in the freezer for a while, so I did. Then I whipped the cream with my mixer for a minute or so until it started looking thick. Then I added some sugar and vanilla, then whipped it again. It looked right and tasted good, so I must have done something right!

Serve with strawberries or other berries too. Tyson and Jori and Mr. "I only want one piece because I went out for a big lunch today" Fey all loved it and I will definitely be making it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I can't believe I made the blog... yeah for french toast.. makes me think about making it for my little ones.. except the only day we are all home is saturday morning and i want to sleep in... love you sosoososso xoxo laurie