Monday, May 25, 2009

A must read

I just finished reading 28 Stories of AIDS in Africa, by Stephanie Nolen. I don't know how I even found the book, but if any of you recommended it to me, thank you! It was excellent. I was really challenged to examine thoughts and beliefs that I know I have expressed or had at one time or another, about morals and values and justice and just a lot of stuff. I really do think that it is good to look at things from the perspective of others. You may or may not change your own view of a situation, but it is good to be stretched and to wrestle with stuff. There is a lot of "stuff" out there that I would rather just ignore and not have to deal with. It doesn't directly impact me, so why bother. I need to put down the Christian Fiction every once in a while and pick up something that makes me think.

In other news, I have really been wishing we were in South Africa again. It has been over 6 months since we came back home-two whole seasons. I have been terrible about keeping in touch with people. Oh, it is easy to come up with excuses about why this happens, but it really makes me sad. I just wish we could know what is happening in the lives of our friends on a more regular basis.

We did hear some fantastic news recently from Mark Harding regarding Mama Cathrine. She finally received the deed to the property, which means she can now look into putting up some new buildings. It feels so selfish to even say this, but I just wish we could be a part of it. I wish we could be there to help get things organized. To see dormitories going up so that 14 people will no longer have to sleep in a space meant for 3-4 people. Or a classroom that is roomy enough that all the kids could push their chairs out at the same time and not risk knocking someone down. Just knowing that there are possibilities now that they have the deed is amazing. If/when we hear more, I will be sure to pass it on.

No comments: