Monday, January 12, 2009

Potty Training-it's not for the faint of heart

It's that time again. Time to get on the potty train. Yes, we've "been there, done that" with Tyson, but there's a new trainee in town and her name is Jori "stubborn as the dickens" Fey. Before we started "training", Jori had already gone on the potty several times, by her own choosing. #1 and #2. I thought that moving from diapers to pull-ups would only make it easier for her to go on her own, and I have been proven wrong.

Jori was so excited to get princess pull-ups. We got the kind that have little flowers on them that disappear when they get wet. She DID NOT want those flowers to disappear, so we were all on the same page. However, now, two weeks later, I am thinking of going back to diapers. For starters, diapers and less expensive and our little potty training star, who stayed dry the first week, has now been making flowers disappear left and right. And the whole #2 thing, something she had been doing on the potty pre-training is like a joke. She refuses to poop on the potty and will wait three days before going. I've been sticking her in a diaper just to make sure she doesn't end up having bowel issues like her poor brother had before we went to Africa.

I have also come to the conclusion that when the potty trainer (me) becomes more trained than the trainee (my stubborn daughter) that something is terribly wrong. Yes, she stayed dry, but this is only because I make her go to the bathroom. If I ask her "do you need to go potty?" her most common response is "no, i already goed yesterday". Sorry to burst your bubble, but peeing is not a once daily occurrence for most "normal" people. Never once has she said "I need to go potty" and taken herself to the bathroom.

So I think I am giving up. I figure she'll catch on someday so why worry about it now?

1 comment:

Ed / Julie said...

Oh Jonna. Julie Ball from Bethel here. I feel your pain on the potty training issue. My Elise will be 3 in June and EVERYTHING you said is happening in my house as well. We do well and then we do not so well. Elise is my 4th daughter and the official "potty-trained" age has gotten later and later with each one. I am determined not to have that trend continue...my 3rd chose to potty-train on her 3rd birthday because "I'm big now!" I tell ya, if I had known that was all it would take, I would have celebrated her 3rd birthday when she was just 2 1/2! Peace to you, my friend.