Saturday, March 21, 2009

Have you ever written to your congressman/woman?

Up until today, I don't believe I have ever done so. However, as I have been secretly reading the blogs of families that have recently adopted children from all over the world, I have been reading about H.R. 213: Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee Act of 2009. This is a piece of legislation that I HOPE will make it through the whole legislative process and will one day come up for a vote. Why do I care?? Darin and I have always talked about adopting a child/children at some point in our marriage. It has been a desire we've shared since we were dating. Without H.R. 213, this may not ever be possible for us. Why? Well, currently, there is an adoption tax credit (maybe not a credit, but that is what I am going to call it)that you can receive when you adopt a child. Adoption is not cheap people, and seeing as it hurts me to even shell out $6 for a new shirt, without this tax credit/relief we would probably have a hard time coming up with the means to adopt.

So, here is a link that will take you to a blog with all sorts of info on this bill and there are also links that you can click on to write your Senators and Representative.



It really doesn't take that long. Promise.

No comments: