Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finishing...

...is something that I do not do well. I am great at thinking up ideas and some of these ideas actually get put into action, but I usually have a hard time seeing things through to the end.

A few examples:

The kids ABC Bible Memory verses. This started out GREAT, if I do say so myself. The kids were having fun, I put effort into teaching them their verses throughout the day, every day and it was something that I felt good about. Since about the letter M, things have been a struggle, both for them and me. It has been more difficult to keep so many verses tucked away in their minds (and hearts!) and dealing with less than willing participants has made me less than eager to spend time teaching them. We have currently gone through the letter U, but that was 3 weeks ago...

Couponing. I do still clip coupons and have been much more AWARE of how much I am spending, which I truly believe it half the battle, but it has all been to a much lesser degree. I stopped printing internet coupons because our printer was out of ink for a while, and I just never got back into it. I haven't been to Rite Aid or Walgreen's for about 6 months, which means I've missed out on lots of free stuff that I am sure we could have used, but now I will just pay full price. It did get to be kind of an obsession, but there are a lot worse obsessions to have...

Meal planning. We were in such a food rut and were also spending a lot of money going out to eat because I never seemed to have anything in mind for dinner. Knowing that I had meals planned for the whole week was awesome, so I am not sure why I don't do it anymore, but for some reason I just don't.

Gardening. Last year I found out that being outside and digging in the cool earth was very relaxing and almost therapeutic for me. I had BIG plans to garden again this year, but now that the time to plant has arrived I am just not in the mood. Part of the reason is I don't think much will grow in our new plot (that I was super excited about) because it is too shady, so I don't even really want to try. I ripped so many weeds and prickers out of our new plot and composted and was really off to a good start, but now...

Keeping the house clean. I had been doing so much better at cleaning the bathrooms, keeping the kitchen counter cleared off, making the beds, vacuuming, dusting... but now I have let myself get so far behind that the thought of starting is overwhelming, so I just don't.

The list could go on and on. I think that part of it is a bit of depression. I am blaming it on the week of unseasonably warm weather that we had a couple weeks ago. It kind of ruined me for this "normal" spring weather. I think I also have a poor work ethic. Maybe I tried to change too many things and got away from my true "slacker" self, so now the laziness has come back with a vengeance.

While a lot of my examples aren't really serious issues, not finishing has impacted other areas of my life as well. There have been service opportunities that have really interested me, so I gather information, but then somewhere along the way I just stop. Last summer and fall the kids and I were faithful about going to the Laurel's to visit the residents there, but over the winter it became difficult with bad weather and sickness to contend with, so we quit going. We have things in our life that we have planned for and dreamed about, but now these dreams just languish.

Bleh.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I think is a "mom" thing we all struggle with. I'm right there with you. I have a weekly cleaning schedule and I rarely can stick to it. It seems like all I can prioritize and accomplish is laundry...and even that piles up. I am not one of these moms that cooks every night, but I am fortunate my husband shares the cooking. I'm trying not to be whiny, but it is hard to come up with meals every single night...especially if you're like me and you enjoy cooking, but it's not a natural skill. It took me a LONG time before I was comfortable in the kitchen.

I also experience mild anxiety when the seasons change. For years it was the change from summer to fall. The past couple years it has always been spring to summer. I really don't why. It's such a beautiful time of year.